I love millet and I eat it pretty much every morning. It’s so tasty I can have the same millet porridge for weeks and weeks. It’s such a good breakfast! I always get my millet from this Russian shop in Waterloo, because it’s convenient and because the millet they sell comes pre-roasted. It tastes nuttier and only takes 8 mins to cook.
I tried millet from Wholefoods in London and its kind of tasteless. So if you ever tried cooking millet and wasn’t impressed, you didn’t get the right kind. There is still some hope fo you. I don’t know if you can roast it yourself, I might try it one day if there is ever a shortage.
Today I’m making my porridge in Ayurvedic style, slightly unusual and super delicious!
The porridge is:
You are going to need:
- 1/3 cup millet
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- Cinnamon stick
- Black pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Add millet and water to a pan, bring to boil, then turn the heat down.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Grind a small amount of cinnamon stick in pestle & mortar or coffee grinder to make ½ tsp of cinnamon powder. Trust me it is SO MUCH BETTER than store bought cinnamon!
- Once the millet is almost ready and soaked up most of the water add coconut cream, cinnamon, turmeric and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper.
- Leave to cook for another 2 mins.
- You could add an additional 1 tsp of coconut oil if you like it creamier.
Have a beautiful day, Marina xx