What is nice cream? Nope, I didn’t make a mistake, nice cream is a wonderful name for raw vegan ice cream made out of bananas. Whole fruit, no dairy, no added sugar, no cream either. You could have it for breakfast, it’s good for you.
I am making a dessert out of it and topping it up with salted caramel popcorn. You can find the full recipe for the caramel sauce here.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of full-fat coconut milk
- Salt (I use Himalayan pink salt)
- 2 large frozen bananas
- Pinch of beetroot powder for colouring
- Unflavoured popcorn
- 50 ml soya milk
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Add the sugar and stir for about 1 minute to heat through.
- Add the coconut milk and a pinch of salt, stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer at low heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until caramel has thickened, stirring occasionally. It should be sticking to the back of your spatula or spoon.
- Remove pan from heat. Allow to cool slightly for 10 minutes then transfer to a jar with a lid.
- Put bananas into a blender and add a splash of soya milk
- Purée, turning off the motor and stirring the mixture two or three times, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into two bowls, add a pinch of beetroot powder to one and stir.
Add a couple of tablespoons of each colour of the nice cream to a glass to create a layered effect. Top off with popcorn and pour the caramel sauce over the top.
Have a beautiful day, Marina xx