I admit this is my very fist time making caramel sauce. And it turned out so heavenly smooth and creamy! Traditionally caramel is made with butter, but I am using coconut cream and it works just as well. It is wonderfully gooey and only takes 15 mins to make.
You are going to need:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of full-fat coconut milk
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Add the sugar and stir for about 1 minute to heat through.
- Add the coconut milk and a pinch of salt, stir to combine
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer at low heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until caramel has thickened, stirring occasionally. It should be sticking to the back of your spatula or spoon.
- Remove pan from heat. Allow to cool slightly for 10 minutes then transfer to a jar with a lid.
This sauce can be used to top up popcorn or as a lush sweetener in hot drinks. Caramel mocha anyone?
I’ve been adding it to my turmeric lattes and it’s a game changer. Just make sure to use unsweetened soy milk.
Try it in coffee instead of store bought flavoured syrups, many of them contain artificial stuff and glucose-fructose sugar which is best to avoid.
If you make this sauce and share it online, remember to tag me!
Have a beautiful day, Marina xx