I have been looking for foods that are high in Iron and I came across spirulina. It’s a blue-green algae which contains a high amount of protein, vitamins and minerals. It is about 60-70% protein, which is greater gram for gram than both red meat and soy! It is also a complete protein. Also spirulina is rich in B12 and Iron making it a great choice for vegans. 1 tbsp (7g) contains 2mg of Iron!
Adding this much spirulina to a smoothie will completely ruin it. It is definitely more of a savoury dish food. That’s why I have created this simple and very delicious soup.
You are going to need:
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 small carrots
- 1 tbsp wild garlic pesto (or basil vegan pesto)
- 1 onion
- 75g purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbsp spirulina
- 2 slices x lime
- pumpkin seeds
- Slice the carrots in 1/2-inch-thin slices. Add to a pan with water and boil for 10 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Chop broccoli. Toss boiled carrots and broccoli in a bowl with 1 tbsp coconut oil, salt, oregano and rosemary. Transfer to a sheet pan in 1 layer and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, until browned and tender.
- Chop potato and onion, add both to a pan, fill it with water covering the veg plus 1/2 inch, add a pinch of salt and bring to boil. Cook for 10 mins until potato is cooked.
- Transfer potato, onion and broth to a blender. Add pesto, 1 tbsp of coconut oil, spirulina and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth.
- Serve with roasted carrots and broccoli, sliced lime and pumpkin seeds.
Have a beautiful day, Marina xx