This is a cake I made for my awesome friend Zoe. Looks like I mostly bake for other people. I find it more rewarding and it means I get to eat a lot less, as portioning indulgent cakes is not my forte! 😀
You will need:
250g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder plus a few drops of vinegar for activation
25g ground almonds
175g sugar (I used molasses)
1 cupful almond essence
150g frozen blueberries
100ml of olive oil
175ml warm water
A few flaked almonds
1. Roll out the marzipan into a rectangle or a circle the same size as your dish. Dust the board and rolling pin with icing sugar to stop it from sticking. Set aside.
2. Put flour, ground almonds, baking powder (activated with vinegar) and sugar in a bowl. Stir.
3. Add almond essence and vegetable oil.
4. Pour water in, beat with a wooden spoon, add blueberries. Mix.
5. Spread vegan butter on the inside of the dish. Pour mixture into it.
6. Lay marzipan on top, scatter with flaked almonds and cook for about 25 mins at 200 C until cooked through. Keep a close eye on the cake after 20 mins as the marzipan will brown very quickly.
This came out really sweet and yummy, but if you do prefer it being less sweet use only a half of the sugar.
Have a beautiful day, Marina xx